Police Warns People About Touching A Tennis Ball On The Floor


The police force from Kent, Washington has issued a dire warning to all dog owners about a tennis ball they might see around. They are encouraging people to not pick up or touch these tennis balls that they would see on the ground. This could be a tad bit hard for dog owners who let their pets off the leash but it’s one warning you really should follow.

CBS News has reported previously that some individuals are enjoying creating their own fireworks at home which have resulted in injuries, a few missing limbs and for some, instant death. However, people from across the state of Washington are putting these fireworks on tennis balls or even pipes. When these innovations of “fireworks” don’t explode as planned, they often just leave it be. It then becomes a land mine waiting for a limb to cut off.

And so, if you ever see a tennis ball on the ground, don’t touch it warns Kent Police Department.

“A tennis ball bomb is very easy to identify. It is a real tennis ball that has some sort of fuse sticking out of it,” CBS News conveys to dog owners and people. “The tennis ball could also be completely wrapped in duct tape with a fuse sticking out.”

If you ever see something like a tennis ball bomb, never touch it and instead, keep your dog away and dial 911.

“Some of them are very effective and dangerous, and some of them don’t work, but you don’t know,” public information officer of Kent Police Department in the state of Washington, Jarod Kasner, said. “People light them, leave them thinking it’s a dud, but who knows what’s happening on the inside. Then a dog comes and picks it up…”

Although it was only Kent, Washington officials who have spread the warning to all individuals, it’s best if you heed the warning too wherever you might be living in the United States. There are other parts of the country that are expected to host these tennis ball DIY fireworks.

These tennis balls can be extremely dangerous. In fact, a case had been reported on 2000 when a dog in Portland, Oregon picked up a tennis ball bomb and it exploded in his mouth. After the tragic incident, the dog had to be put down because of the severe injuries it acquired.

“If it doesn’t go ‘boom’ some people just walk away from it,” Kasner said. “Unfortunately, dogs pick up everything up in their mouth and bring it to you. It could be smoldering on the inside and when you move it around that’s when it goes off.”

You don’t want this to happen to you, your pet or your child so it’s safer to warn everyone you hold dear about these fireworks pretending to be safe and fun tennis balls.

“If you see a ball or any other household item that looks burnt or has a wick or tape attached to it, don’t touch it, police warn,” CBS reports.

If you see something that is suspicious, don’t try to be a hero and pick it up yourself as you might just be the next victim of these DIY bombs. Instead, call the proper authorities and let them handle these dangerous situations.

Also remember that these bombs don’t just come in a form of a tennis ball. It could also be a pipe or any other container.

It’s not yet time for fireworks, but better be safe than sorry. Don’t be reckless and put you, your dog or your child in any danger of suspicious stuff.

Learn to be vigilant and warn people as well. Share this post with your friends!