Source: 12 Tomatoes
If you want to get a taste of a delicious vegetarian dish that’s just exploding with amazing flavor, you can try these guilt-free cheesy eggplant rollatini. This traditional Italian dish boasts bundles of eggplant which are filled with ricotta cheese and topped with tomato sauce. It’s a delicious and hearty meal that bears close resemblance to lasagna. These eggplant rollatini are not a hard sell. Your kid’s won’t even realize that they’re consuming veggies because it’s that good!
Source: 12 Tomatoes
Regardless of whether you’re serving food to vegetarians or not, this dish tastes excellent and is a healthier choice for you. And so if you want to keep your dinner routine exciting, this dish may just be what you’re looking for!
Recipe for Eggplant Rollatini
(45 minutes to prepare serves 6)
- 4 eggplants
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 package of frozen spinach, thawed
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups prepared marinara sauce
- 2 cups parmesan cheese, grated, divided
- 3/4 cups fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- Koser salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Trim the ends off the eggplants. Cut them lengthwise into approximately 1/4-inch thick slices.
- Place the eggplant slices on baking sheets. Then, season them with salt and pepper, before drizzling with olive oil.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Then, remove from oven and let cool for a while.
- In a large bowl, mix ricotta cheese, egg, basil leaves, salt, pepper along with 1 cup of parmesan cheese. Then, squeeze water out of spinach and add this juice to the cheese mixture.
- Place approximately 3 tablespoons of cheese and spinach mixture on each of the eggplant slices. Roll the eggplants into a loose bundle and place them seam-side down in a large baking dish.
- Top the eggplant rolls with marinara sauce. Then, sprinkle on mozzarella as well as the remaining parmesan cheese.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted to satisfaction.
(Note: Recipe is adapted from Epicurious.) Share this post with your friends!